Wednesday 6 January 2010

Highlights of 2009 06/01/2010

With the weather at the moment not being too suitable for sea kayaking I have been looking back at photos of last year and here are some of my favourite moments. I haven't many photos of myself so thanks go to Martyn for the one above.

Throughout the year I had a few trips out to the islands of Flat Holm and Steep Holm and out to Monkstone Lighthouse all in the Bristol Channel.

My longest paddle of the year was from Penarth to the Second Severn Crossing and back. A round trip of nearly 40 nautical miles. I felt very small next to the immense concrete structure.

In August I was lucky enough to have a close encounter with 2 very curious seals in one of the bays on Ramsey Island. Normally the seals around Ramsey are quite timid and the bulls can be quite aggressive but these two hung around for about half an hour, it was something that will stay with me for a long time.

On the subject of wildlife, a few trips to Skomer Island left me having spent many hours watching one of my favourite sea birds, the Puffin, as well as the occasional Fulmar. On a paddle between St David' Head and Ramsey Island I saw my first Sunfish, the picture isn't brilliant as the sea was a bit choppy but again its something I won't forget.

In June, myself and Eurion attended The South West Sea Kayak Meet organised by Mark Rainsley, although a bit foggy at times, we had three great days paddling the South Devon coast, hopefully I will be able to attend this year also.

The highlights of the year wouldn't be complete without mentioning the delights of Ramsey Sound where I do the majority of my paddling, there is never a dull moment especially around the Bitches and even on a calm day the tide flow can be pretty impressive.

On the subject of rough water, above are a couple of photos of a trip around Skomer and to Musselwick Sands in May when there was quite a large swell and things got a bit hairy in a few places but great fun, especially when I was back on dry land!

A few sunsets seem like an ideal place to end my look back at 2009, it wasn't a bad year, lets hope 2010 is just as good if not better!.

4 comments:

eurion said...

Lovely review Richard. Fingers crossed for a cracking year ahead.

Stuart sea kayk said...

Nice review of a brilliant year. Who needs to go abroad for an adventure when you got all that stunning scenery and wildlife on your doorstep. I can't wait to get out there and see it for myself.

stoney (Martyn) said...

Yes! What a great idea, a review of the year.
One that stands out for me was my trip around Ramsey, with an expert guide of course!
See you out there soon

Ian Johnston said...

What a cracking year you had Richard! Some really outstanding photos too; here's hoping 2010 is as good for all of us!

Kind regards

Ian