Tuesday 26 August 2008

The Bitches - Rib Congestion and a Sleepy Seal 26/08/2008

Approaching Pen Dal-aderyn at the southern
end of Ramsey Sound

Yet another windy day and with yesterday's large surf dropping quite considerably, it was back in the sea kayak, but still feeling the effects of yesterday's surfing (I must be getting old), I thought I would have a paddle over to the Bitches which hopefully should be sheltered from the strong wind and the still quite large swell. The paddle down to the southern end of Ramsey Sound was again a struggle against the wind.

Half way across the sound

View from the first rock, looking back

The crossing over to the Bitches against the northerly flowing flood tide was quite rough but great fun. Paddling from rock to rock along the jagged line of the Bitches I stopped at the last large rock before the island to have a break and watch the boat trip traffic passing through the Bitches, much more and they will have to think of putting traffic lights up!




I then paddled over to the stack by the landing quay on the island where I came across a young seal sleeping heavily in the water, he had quite a shock when he woke!


Paddling back to the Bitches I pass the arch where the tide is flowing quickly through. I managed to paddle up against the flow so I could paddle back through the Bitches where I managed to take some photos.


Approaching the Bitches with the flow

Just after hitting the first wave

It was then back across to the last rock away from the island and out into the main tide stream and let it take me northbound to St John's Point and back to Porthsele.


The route back across to the last rock


The last rock getting nearer

Out into the main tide flow....


...and enjoy the ride!

Only a short paddle of just over 6 nautical miles (approximately 7.25m or 11.5km) but good practice of paddling in tide streams and rough water achieving a top speed of over 8.5 knots.

1 comment:

stoney (Martyn) said...

Hi Richard
Another excellant trip, looked pretty awesome that time!
Ribs are a pain really arent they? At least people who could never imagine what its like to be out there get the chance to get up close.
Keep em coming, its keeping me inspired!