Sunday 3 May 2009

Ramsey Sound, Caves, Bitches and a broken Lifeboat....03/05/2009

Paddling out from Porthsele on another glorious sunny day with not too much wind and not as large a swell as yesterday. I didn't have any route planned but on spotting the overfalls to the west of Carreg Gafeilliog it seemed a bit rude not to go and have a play!

After an exhiliarating 45 minutes spent surfing and playing about in the standing waves I paddled over to Penrhyn Dalar where I had to stay close to the cliff and surf against the tide flow to get around the point.

Passing Porth Cadnaw and Porth Brag on the way to St Justinian there is numerous evidence of the cliffs losing their battle against the forces of nature from erosion .

On reaching St Justinian the St David's Lifeboat, Garside, is moored after yesterday's incident whilst trying to rehouse in the boat house. For a full report CLICK HERE and scroll to 02/05/2009.

After taking a few photos I paddle back over to the cliffs and to Ogof Mary where the water from the spring above the cave entrance is pouring down onto the ?algae? covered rock below.

Opposite the entrance is the natural arch through the purple coloured rock which is pictured looking back towards Ogof Mary (can you spot the pixie?!)

Paddling on further southward I again explore the numerous caves around Maen Bachau. Still staying close to the cliffs I paddle to Pen Dal-aderyn passing a Herring Gull totally oblivious to me and the quite fast flowing tide.

Paddling out into the north flowing tide I let it take me down and across to the Bitches where a large eddy takes me into calmer water behind the most easterly rock. Again it seems rude not to stop and have a play on the Bitches, great fun!

Paddling over to Rhod Isaf I stop in one of the sheltered little beaches for a rest and then over to a large cave where today the tide is just right to paddle right through into Rhod Uchaf.

I continue paddling northward up to Trwyn Ogof Hen, the NE point of Ramsey Island and out to Gwahan where I let the last of the flood tide take me across to St David's Head.

I spot two dolphins quickly heading down into Ramsey Sound but to far away and to quick to take any photos.

On reaching the head it is an easy paddle into Whitesands Bay and across to Porthsele.

A paddle of just over 10.5 nautical miles (just over 12 miles or 19.5km) exploring the numerous attractions of Ramsey Sound.

No comments: