Friday 1 May 2009

The elusive Seals & Porpoise of Ramsey Sound 01/05/2009

After the rain and wind I had driven in and also had arrived at Pencarnan to, it was hard to believe that a couple of hours later it was the same day.



Although there was still a strong wind, now there was not a cloud in the sky. Porthsele was sheltered from this wind but there was quite large surf to paddle out through.



The stretch of water around the point at Porthsele and up to St John's Point was quite bumpy with the wind making paddling quite hard work.


I decided to paddle out into Ramsey Sound and across to Ramsey Island hoping to get out of the SW wind.



Half way across I was joined by a seal who seemed to enjoy swimming right behind my kayak but only to disappear as soon as I stopped to take a picture and then to reappear when I started paddling again. The seal finally got bored and left me as I reached Trwyn Ogof Hen, the NE point of Ramsey Island, where the southerly flowing ebb tide was starting to pick up speed.


Stopping for a breather in the shelter of the entrance of Ogof Hen I was again joined by a large bull seal who again declined to have his photo taken, but there were 3 cormorants who were not so camera shy!


Paddling out into the main tidal flow I let it aid my progress south easterly, nearing Horse Rock I spotted two porpoise but the same as the seals were far too elusive to be captured by the camera.


I carried on to the sheltered little bay at Carn ar Wig. By here are the remains of a small jetty with a winch and a pulley, whether they are anything to do with the disused Treginnis Copper mine at Penmaen Melyn at the southern entrance to Ramsey Sound, I do not know but it makes a good photo.



Paddling northwards I explore some of the caves which I last went in on 13th April when it was slightly different weather with today being far better for taking photos.

Passing St Justinian the Lifeboat flag is at half mast in respect of Roland Bateman whose funeral is tomorrow, he served with the St David's Lifeboat for 39 years.


Reaching St John's Point again there is still quite a lively sea which makes ideal conditions for the blow hole at Fisherman's point to blow out quite impressive jets of water.

Only a short paddle of 5.5 nautical miles (6.5 miles or 10km) in varying sea conditions in almost perfect weather conditions.

No comments: