Saturday 23 May 2009

The Ramsey Sound Express 23/05/2009

It was a glorious day on my return back down west, I hope this was setting the pattern for the rest of the week.

By the time we had unpacked and settled back in, the northerly flowing flood tide was well in motion so my paddling options were limited.

I decided to have a bit of fun in the fast flowing, swirling waters of Ramsey Sound. At Pen Dal-aderyn, the southern most point of the mainland side of Ramsey Sound, the water was already quite lively.

Paddling into the main flow I am quickly spun round more than 90 degrees and am rapidly taken down towards the Bitches where, on nearing them, I paddle into an eddy which takes me back up into the slightly calmer waters behind the nearest "Bitch" to the mainland.

I paddle across the Bitches into the sheltered water of the small jetty underneath the white farmhouse where I have a breather and watch the water tearing through the natural arch.

Making my way back across the Bitches I am joined by numerous gulls diving for food churned up by the turbulent waters.

It is then back in to the main flow for an express train ride northwards back towards St John's Point. After passing the maelstrom caused by the now submerged Horse Rock the water calms slightly where I am again joined by gulls also enjoying the free ride!

Passing St Johns Point the water turns glassy as I enter the overfalls to the west of Carreg Gafeilliog where I get another soaking.

Breaking out of the tide flow into the calmer water between the rocks of Carreg Gafeilliog I take a few photos of the overfalls in the foreground with the north end of Ramsey Island and the lighthouse of South Bishop in the distance.

An exhilarating paddle to start a week of hopefully just as good sea kayaking.

No comments: