Monday 24 March 2008

First decent Easter paddle! 24/03/2008

Finally awoke to near silence compared to the last few days, and the caravan walls had stopped shaking!

Checked the trusty inshore shipping forecast to find N backing NW 5 to 7 decreasing 4 or 5 later, today's the day that I finally get back on the water.

Decided to take my usual route down to the south end of Ramsey Sound keeping quite close to the shoreline as the wind was still quite gusty.

On rounding St John's point Penrhyndalar comes into view, it's hard to believe that only yesterday the waves were breaking half way up the rock face reminding me to always have deep respect for the sea, and proving how quickly conditions can change for better or worse.

Carrying on past St Justinian where the St David's lifeboat is housed I reached the bottom of the Sound, as the tide was still on the ebb I decided to carry on round the coastline and paddle to Porthlisky as this section of the coast would be sheltered from the NW wind, and on my return the tide would be starting to flood and therefore aide me on my paddle back through the Sound.



Porthlisky is a shingle beach accessed via the coast path. Remote and unspoilt, making this an ideal lunchspot.

On my return paddle I noticed quite a large sail boat leaving the Sound and heading into St Brides Bay.As the tide was now starting to flood, I paddled with it, through the Sound, past Carreg-gafeiliog and onto St David's Head. Large overfalls were being created in places due to the wind against the ever increasing tidal flow.



Paddled to St David's Head, which is the most Westerly point of mainland Wales, and headed into Porthmelgan, with Carn Llidi in the background. Porthmelgan is an unspoilt and attractive sandy beach again accessed only via the coastal path .

From here there are good views back down through the Sound and Ramsey Island, and also a good view of Pencarnan situated just above Porthsele.

Ramsey Sound and Island viewed from Porthmelgan

Pencarnan and Porthsele

It's great to be back on the water again with a decent trip covering a distance of nearly 10 miles and reaching a speed of 8.5mph with the flood tide.

No comments: