Saturday 11 April 2009

Porth Clais 11/04/2009

Using the last of the southerly flowing ebb tide to take me through Ramsey Sound on another glorious April day, I have an effortless paddle and before I know it I am passing out of the Sound and by Shoe Rock which is well out of the water.

It is clear why this causes quite a bit of turbulence when the tide is higher and is also a bit of a hazard to shipping leaving and entering the sound.

A solitary Great Black Backed Gull (I think) stands on guard not bothered at all by my presence.

Paddling eastwards I enter Porthlysgi Bay which is protected from the prevailing SW swells by the rocky outcrop of Carreg yr Esgob.

There is an arch which passes through one of the rocks.

Leaving Porthlysgi Bay I notice Half Tide Rock which is situated about half a mile south of Porth Clais. Again, like Shoe Rock, Half Tide Rock is only visible at low tide and due to its position is another hazard to shipping.

I had intended to paddle into Porth Clais but with it being a Holy weekend I decided to paddle NE to St Non's Bay, named after the mother of St David. He was born here in AD462 during a great storm. The present St Non's Chapel was built in 1934 and is currently surrounded by scaffolding.

I now paddle eastward to Porth Clais, the small sheltered harbour which dates back to possibly Norman times. Entering the harbour it was a bit of a surprise to see 2 JCB's busily shifting sand from the entrance.

Leaving Porth Clais there was still a bit of swell left over from yesterday which was again evident as I rounded Carreg Fran and back into Porthlysgi Bay which takes it name from an Irish raider Lysgi.

Paddling north of Carreg yr Esgob, this time the arch is more visible. I soon pick up the first of the flood tide and let it take me over to the Bitches which are just starting to build up.

I then paddle back into the main tidal flow and let it take me northwards.

A leisurely paddle of just over 11 nautical miles (almost 13 miles or 21km).

No comments: