Thursday 28 August 2008

A Wrecked Tug Boat and a Turbulent Horse 28/08/2008

The wind has finally dropped and the shipping forecast was looking good so I decided to use the last of the south flowing ebb tide to take me through Ramsey Sound and out into St Bride's Bay.

The Arch through Carreg Yr Esgob

On reaching Carreg Yr Esgob, the large rocky outcrop in Porthlisky Bay, I paddled straight across to the site of what remains of the 3 tugs wrecked in October 1981, more info click here, as the tide was coming in and they would soon disappear beneath the waves.
The tide was a little higher than when I was here last month, although not as much of the wrecks were visible it meant I could get nearer to the bow and also behind the engine block.

On paddling eastwards back along the coast I decided I will have to paddle here again soon and spend time exploring a bit more as there are many inlets and caves, but today I am on a tight schedule as the boys have been wanting to go out in their new kayak and today is the first suitable day we have had for a couple of days.
The next point of interest is the purple sandstone cliffs of Caer Bwdy Bay. Rocks were quarried from these cliffs and the neighbouring Caerfai to provide stone for construction of St David's Cathedral.


Passing Caerfai Bay and entering St Non's Bay ,the St Non's Retreat and St Non's Chapel overlook the rugged coastline. St Non's is traditionally regarded as the birthplace of St David in 462 during a great storm, but a light is said to have miraculously shone over the spot.

The Holy Well adjacent to the retreat is said to have healing powers particularly for the eyes. The present chapel was built in 1934 shortly after the retreat and was constructed in the style of earlier chapels. The cliffs in St Non's Bay are very rugged with varying colours and formations.

Purple Sandstone mixed with Granite

Natural arch in St Non's Bay


Almost vertical layers of rock near Porthclais

Approaching Carreg Fran, the rocky outcrops before Porthlisky, I start to pick up the flood tide which increases the nearer I get to Ramsey Sound, you can hear it long before you can see it.


Ramsey Island and Pen Dal-adeyrn from Porthlisky




As I fly past Pen Dal-adeyrn the roughness of the water increases and it is here that I reach my top speed of 9.5 knots.


There is a small stretch of calmer water and then the turbulent water around the infamous Horse Rock comes into view.



Normally this is to be avoided but today as there is little wind and swell I paddle straight through it, brilliant fun.


After Horse Rock, the Sound seems relatively tame but it doesn't take me long to reach Porthsele where it is a quick change of boats and some paddling tuition for the boys.



This was the longest paddle of the week so far covering a distance of just over 13 nautical miles (approximately 15m or 24.5km).

No comments: