Saturday 4 September 2010

Nordkapp Hard Astern! 04/09/2010

With the wind increasing overnight and the forecast not looking too good I decided to stay close to the mainland cliffs through Ramsey Sound and see how things go.
The coast between Porthsele and St Justinian I usually paddle straight past but today I am exploring every cave and inlet.
There are a few bays with very crumbly cliffs and then areas of harder more statuesque rocks which withstand the constant pounding of waves and the weather.
Knowing very little about geology I have no idea what the different rocks are called but there are a huge variety of colours and shapes in this short stretch of coast.
The tide is just right to take the short cut into St Justinian through the narrow channel between Ynys Dinas and the mainland.
I paddle past the existing St David's Lifeboat Station and into the adjoining cove which is the proposed site of the new boathouse, though I don't know when work is due to commence.
There are the remains of some of the test drilling equipment left from last year and as I paddle out of the cove I sample the view the lifeboat will have when it is launched.
Paddling on I pass more signs of cliff erosion and then paddle over towards the entrance of Ogof Mary.
Just as I am about to paddle into the cave a large bull seal comes steaming out of the cave to greet me and he doesn't look too happy, slamming the Nordkapp into reverse I make a very hasty retreat.
Turning the kayak rapidly I carry on paddling Southward expecting the irate bull seal to be following me but I think he is more concerned with having his wicked way with a female seal who was probably in the cave.
I stop for a rest at the old jetty complete with the now disused winching gear at Carn ar Wig which were used for the boats belonging to the Ramsey Island Farm.

At Pen Dal-adeyrn the Southerly tip of the mainland of Ramsey Sound I pass the remains of a 19th Century copper mine which was closed after a fatal accident in 1883.
Breaking into the tide race I let the tide take me Northwards back into Ramsey Sound while I watch the sun's rays trying to break through the cloud.
As I am swept past the Bitches the sun is still battling to break through the cloud creating quite good photo opportunities.
It is then an easy paddle back to Porthsele passing a bit of turbulence caused by the pinnacle of Horse Rock just below the surface.

Reaching Porthsele I am greeted by Bobby and Harry making the most of the last day of their 3 week Summer break and for me an interesting paddle to end my weeks' break.

No comments: