Sunday 10 April 2011

The Things I Get Myself Talked Into!!! 09and10-04-2011


In case you were wondering there is a photo above, it is the view from Atlantic College across the Bristol Channel to Porlock, I think!


With this being the 200th post on my blog I thought I would do something different. So when Eurion said it was an ideal night to paddle from Atlantic College on the Welsh side of the Bristol Channel across to Porlock on the English side and then back who was I to disagree.

Along with Paul from Atlantic College, myself and Eurion left the slipway at 9.15pm and paddled out into the darkness.

Halfway there I think! The conditions were ideal with little or no wind and a clear sky and although it wasn't much of a moon it was quite bright.

After just over 3 hours of paddling with the tide first taking us East up the Bristol Channel and then for the last hour or so taking us back West we landed on the pebbled beach at Porlock much to Eurion's delight.

Eurion shared some photography tips with me as I experimented with my camera in the dark, first looking at the South Wales coastline and second at the moon above the pub. They don't really do it justice but Eurion had his large one (camera) so check out his photos.
After just over an hour and a half in the bivvi bags my phone alarm went off, 3 o'clock and time to get going again on our return leg.

The wind had picked up a little on our return paddle and after scaring numerous sleeping gulls on the water the sky started to get a little lighter.


Over the next half hour the sun rose slowly above the picturesque Aberthaw Power Station.

The Nash Point Lighthouse which we had paddled toward on our return leg got larger and our destination of Atlantic College came clearly into view.

Eurion informed the Coastguard we had arrived safely, though wires were slightly crossed as they thought we were going to paddle back to Porlock! I politely informed Eurion that I would give that one a miss!

We finally make landfall after about 3.5 hours of paddling finishing a round trip of 24 nautical miles. A slightly different way to spend a Saturday night/ Sunday morning, nice idea Eurion and thanks for the photo of me landing and cheers to Paul for the company, hopefully next time we meet up we will have more time for a chat.

4 comments:

stoney (Martyn) said...

Nice one!
200th post. This journey should become compulsary for all paddlers reaching their 200th post!
Were you aiming for lights at Porlock? Or just going on a bearing?

Taran Tyla said...

Awesome trip, bet you won't forget that one in a hurry. What you doing for your 300th?

Ian Johnston said...

Congratulations on your 200th post Richard - and what a great trip to mark it with! I guess now I'm going to have to rise to Martyn's challenge when I get there....

Kind regards

Richard said...

Martyn, a bit of both as it was difficult to read the compass in the dark.
Taran, as regards my 300th post I will leave that in Eurion's capable hands.
Ian, it sure was a great trip, I think that is a great idea from Martyn.